Sunday, June 24, 2012

What's New?

I am not a person who likes to chat. In fact, as a teenager I once went two weeks without speaking to anyone. I wasn't really setting out to Not Speak, it just kind of happened and I was left wondering if anyone had even noticed since I myself did not think to tally the days until after quite some time had passed. So it is especially strange to me that I should feel sad that all the social media that we are involved in has robbed us of the social convention of Chit Chat. When I run into a friend at the store we  do not get caught up - I already know of the progress of her husband's cancer treatment, her children's accomplishments even where she had dinner last night, there seems no point in even saying hello. My mother wants to share news of the grandchildren, but we've all seen the pictures and read the posts days ago. I'm shocked to find that I miss this social currency, this sharing of news that I never valued before. I am returned to my mute teenage self.

No comments:

Post a Comment